saramisha

Friday, April 9, 2010

Time to get real

I've been angsting lately over the lack of community in my life. I tried to create it in my little neighborhod, but I think I'm finally ready to accept that it just doesn't exist. At least not in the spectrum or range that I want it to exist in. I have visions in my mind of Gilmore Girls Stars Hollow-esque type events, where the whole community has a Knit-a-thons and Dance offs, parades and fall festivals, and people gather often and enjoy the energy of community. In reality, people just want to get together and get drunk, which, in a way, is a type of community gathering. But for this non-drinking Mormon girl, it isn't really an option for me. I guess that fact creates a dividing line for me that I didn't know existed; because it doesn't exist from my end. I'm perfectly willing to be friends with drinking folk, and embrace and celebrate their existence. And perhaps my fellow non-drinkers have ruined it for me, creating a stigma that all non-drinkers are judgemental or boring.

And in another sense, now that the excitement and the hope of having a little utopia has died down for the residents of Estelle Park - people have gotten to know one another, our quirks and differences more obvious than before. People busy, and comfortable in a society that lends itself to isolation...I too will resign into solitude. Celebrating myself.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home