saramisha

Saturday, May 31, 2008

16 mosquito bites and gardening

Oh why did I think it would be a good idea to start gardening at dusk? I even put some Burt's Bees repellant on. No good. The mosquitos will find the places where I didn't rub it in, and they will bite there. Aggressive little buggers. Oh I wish I wasn't allergic to their sting. I'll take chiggers any day. Before I could no longer stand it, I managed to plant some radish seeds, carrot seeds, garden bean seeds, and bell pepper seeds.

Last Monday (Memorial Day) I planted two heirloom tomato plants (Cherokee Purple and Arkansas Traveler). I also planted a Roma Tomato plant with oregano, dill, parsley, chives and basil (which, of course, we ate all the basil before it was even in the ground). Luckily, I also planted an entire packet of basil seeds around the edges.

I also transferred the rosemary, lavender, and apple mint to bigger pots. Our apple mint almost got killed by the full sunlight - it needs partial shade - but I think we saved it in the nick of time. Amazing what some dead-heading will do.

------------

Also in our garden are two beautiful Rhododendron bushes - a native plant to WNC - which Jeff amazingly dug through the hardened clay soil and planted. He also planted some azaleas, and some decorative grasses.

I successfully killed our first two hanging ferns, and replaced them with some $4.99 sale ferns from Bi-Lo. Let's see how they do.

1 Comments:

Blogger shelikestodance said...

So the ferns aren't looking too good. I don't think they like the wind and so much direct sun. Next year, I'll try hanging something different on my porch. And wait until June to hang it. May is just too windy.

June 29, 2008 at 10:36 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home